Holy Cross Old and New Churches
In an unusual arrangement the small medieval church of the Holy Cross is juxtaposed with its much larger 20th Century replacement, representing on the one site the transition from Middlesex village to part of London suburbia. The Grade II* listed new church, designed by Albert Richardson, celebrates the 75th anniversary of its dedication this year, and is an unusual structure for its time, with a massive wooden frame supporting a barn like structure.
ArchitectUnknown/Richardson, Sir Albert
Ferrymead Gardens, Greenford UB6 9NJ
Sat 10am-4pm/Sun 12pm-4pm. Old Church closed from 12noon Sat. Guided tours Sat 10.30am & Sun 2.30pm.
92, 105, E6, E10, 95
- Refreshments available
- Regularly open to the public at no charge
- Toilets available
The old church is one of the three oldest buildings in the borough (the other two being St. Mary’s Northolt and St. Mary’s Perivale). All of these were fortunate to survive. They did so probably because there was no need to rebuild them in the nineteenth century, as they were in parishes with soaring populations. Small populations had no need of larger and newer churches; so the medieval buildings survived the Victorian rebuilding. Holy Cross Church was only 60 ft in length. The church dates from around 1157 AD, but the earliest remaining parts of the building are as recent as the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The porch on the south side of the church dates from about 1500, whilst the wooden tower dates from the sixteenth century. The exterior walls are faced with rather more modern nineteenth century flint. There are a number of interesting monuments within the church itself. These include a monument to a local benefactor from the seventeenth century, Simon Coston, his wife and their children. There are brasses on the north wall of two priests, John Hart of the fifteenth century, and Thomas Symons of the next century. The stained glass windows are also worth inspecting. Some fragments date from the fourteenth century. One window shows the coats of arms of Eton and King’s College, Cambridge, and also the arms of Queen Mary and her husband, Phillip II of Spain. Two of Greenford’s rectors were prominent men. The first was Edward Terry, who served the parish from 1624-1660. He had made his name before he set foot in Greenford, as chaplain to the British ambassador at the court of the Moghul emperor in India. On his return to England in 1619, he published an account of his travels and adventures. He was judged to be a ‘polite man of a pious and exemplary conversation’ and ‘a good preacher’. The second was the Reverend Edward Betham. His principal achievement, which is still important today, was his founding of a school, the first in the parish. This he did by leaving 1600 in bank stock in order to pay for the schooling of 30 poor boys and girls in reading, writing, religion and accounting (for boys) and knitting and sewing for girls. This school was and is in Oldfield Lane. Children from Perivale, Northolt and Hanwell also attended in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Reverend Betham also left money in his will for the provision of clothing to five poor men and five poor women. In the 20s and 30s, Greenford’s population was soaring. It was now no longer an agricultural village, but a bustling suburb for factory workers and commuters. Holy Cross was too small to physically seat the congregation, even in an age when churchgoing was in decline. In 1941, a new and much bigger church was built next to the old building, and the latter is now only used on special occasions. Dr Jonathan Oates, borough archivist and local history librarian (Ealing Council website) In 1939-40 the new church of the HOLY CROSS was built, a few yards west of the old church. Designed by Professor Sir Albert Richardson, it is in the form of a hall-church, and is built on a north- south axis, with a structurally undivided nave and chancel, small north and south aisles, east and west galleries, and a west turret. Apart from the low external walls, the construction is entirely of Canadian timber. The tall tiled roof is supported on open wooden trusses reaching to the floor. The west gallery is lighted by a large oriel window, and there are two tiers of dormers, the upper one forming a continuous clerestory.