Modern movement estate, received Conservation Area status after extensive refurbishment by Peabody. Pioneering in use of concrete and some of the most sculptural stairways ever designed for social housing. Includes 4 blocks, Old Laundry building and landscaped areas.
ArchitectTecton & Lubetkin
Hugh Cubitt House, 48 Collier Street N1 9QZ
Sat 10am-4pm. Tours will take place hourly from Cinnamon Caf . Last entry 3.15pm. Max 10 at one time.
King's Cross St Pancras
- Access for wheelchair users
- Toilets available
PRIORY GREEN Overview Priory Green was designed by the architect, Berthold Lubetkin, and has _Conservation Area_ status. Lubetkin pioneered the use of concrete and created some of the most sculptural stairways ever designed for social housing blocks. Building work begun in 1948 and the final phase was completed in 1957. Priory Green is one of ten estates at Kings Cross, which were transferred to Peabody from Islington Council in 1999. LayoutPriory Green comprises 288 flats and maisonettes (8 x bedsits, 68 x 1 bed flats, 8 x 2 bed flats, 11 x 2 bed maisonettes, 185 x 3 bed flats, 8 x 4 bed flats) in 7 blocks. Peabody was awarded a 2 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund’s townscape heritage initiative in November 2000 to conserve the estate. Avanti Architects acted as conservation consultant throughout the design implementation of this project.RegenerationA 15.2 million programme of extensive works was completed in 2004, including new kitchens, bathrooms and windows lift renewal, an overhaul of the door entry system, an overhaul of the district heating system and new flat entrance doors. Improvements to communal areas and facilities included new landscaping, a new play area, improved lighting, and new refuse stores. Peabody_s 52m capital works programme across the Kings Cross 10 estates complemented the wider regeneration of the surrounding area, in partnership with Islington Council, Kings Cross Partnership and Elizabeth Garret Anderson School.Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels were installed at Priory Green in December 2011 by Breyer Group. These power communal electricity systems such as the lifts, communal lighting and the communal TV aerial for the building.Services and FacilitiesThere are two community centres on the estate, Hugh Cubitt centre, opened in 2004, and the Old Laundry. Designed by JCMT Architects, Hugh Cubitt House completes the original concept for Priory Green envisaged by Lubetkin. The centre provides a range of services for local people, delivered by Peabody staff and partners. Both Hugh Cubitt and the Old Laundry host activities as part of Peabody_s Big Lottery funded Activate London programme, promoting physical exercise, good mental health and healthy eating.