Redbridge Town Hall, Council Chamber
Built in 3 stages consisting of the Old Town Hall (1901) with facade in free classic style and some original decorations, library (1927) and additional buildings (1933).
128-142 High Road, Ilford IG1 1DD
Sat 10.30am-2.30pm. Half-hourly tours 11am-2pm. Max 15 per tour.
25, 86, 123, 128, 129, 145, 147, 150, 167, 169, 179, 296, 364
- Access for wheelchair users
- Toilets available
REDBRIDGE TOWN HALL, COUNCIL CHAMBER Redbridge Town Hall is an impressive grade II listed structure built in the eclectic renaissance style. The Town Hall was built in three phases:Phase One _ The original building of 1901, corner of Oakfield and High RoadIn 1899, Ben Woollard ARIBA began work. The use of Bath stone, domes, cupolas and the two porticoes, gave the building a dignified presence. The style of the building was described as ‘Free Classical’. The original Council Chamber was on the upper floor.Phase Two _ The Central Library and Council Offices, 1927, at rearThe second phase was designed by the Borough Engineer, H Shaw, and contained a new Central Library on the ground floor, with offices in the three storeys above the entrance. At this stage, the older Town Hall and the new Library extension were separated by several houses.Phase Three _ The Town Hall extension, 1933, infillIn 1931, work commenced on the final phase and was designed by Borough Engineer L.E.J. Reynolds. The use of the same Bath stone, and string course levels provided a visual link to the older buildings. It contained offices over five floors, with rooms for the Mayor and several committee rooms. A longer block parallel to the library contained the new Council Chamber on the first floor.The Council ChamberThe current Council Chamber is a larger and more magnificent room than its 1901 predecessor, reflecting the tripling of population in the borough and increase in wealth, which had occurred. It is thought that the Borough Engineer, L.E.J. Reynolds, was responsible for the design of the interior. The Council Chamber is noted as an exceptional space, which compares favourably with all similar rooms elsewhere in London. Features:- Siena marble fluted Ionic columns with bronze gilded caps and bases divide the interior walls into bays. Three quarter height panels of Indian Laurel wood are set into the bays.- The parquet floor is designed with a sun burst emblem to reflect the ceiling emblem.- The tall panelled timber screen hides the main entry doors, framing the mayoral dais, and is topped by the Ilford Borough arms.- Most of the chairs within the Chamber are original high-backed Oak, with brown leather upholstery and carved triangular tops. Other chairs are similar but with curved pediment tops, and probably came from Wanstead and Woodford Town Hall after 1965.